Sunday, September 20, 2009

Lime ginger and soy Flank steak

This was a really easy dish we tried last week that was awesome. It will be something we do often now. It uses a few ingredients that bring a lot of flavor. I forgot to include the soy sauce in the picture...but I used the low sodium kind with the green cap. You will need...

1 to 1.5 # flank steak
1/2 C soy sauce
4-5 gloves garlic
3 T shallots
2 T fresh or ground ginger
zest and juice from a lime
1/3 c oil
salt and pepper

Start by mincing garlic and shallots, I used a garlic press for the garlic and zest the lime.


Combine soy, ginger, oil, zest, garlic, shallots and salt and pepper to taste in a ziplock bag with the flank steak. If you think your steak needs trimmed you can, mine was already trimmed.


Marinate for at least an hour... I did 5 and would have loved to do over night.

I washed off some of the marinade...I wish I wouldn't have now...and put it on the grill. I was also cooking some chicken this night. I cooked it over direct heat flipping once after about 5 minutes. Make sure your grill is nice and clean with a grill brush and then oil the grates with a paper towel before placing the meat on the grill. I turned my meat after the first couple of minutes to get some nice grill marks.

Let the meat rest tented with foil for at least 5 minutes before slicing a crossed the grain. I cooked mine to medium rare and then put a few slices back on the grill to cook it to beef jerky...that's how my wife likes her meat cooked.


I served this with my famous garlic cheddar mashed potatos (post to come) and peas.


I hope you enjoy my first post!

No comments:

Post a Comment