Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bacon Cheddar and Jalapeño Biscuits

These are nice biscuits with a nice crust and fluffy interior. The first time I tried making them I over worked them and looked like cookies more than biscuits. The second time was MUCH better and they were nice and fluffy on the inside. They are not tall biscuits, but have great flavor. After I started I decided on adding bacon, jalapeno and cheese to them and it was a great choice. You will need...
1 C all-purpose flour
1 C cake flour
2 t baking power
1/2 t baking soad
1 t salt
3 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter cut into cubes
3/4 C buttermilk, may not need all of it


I forgot to take pictures of what it looked like before I rolled it out. But this is a fairly sticky dough when you bring it all together. Start preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Then add both flours, baking powder and soda and salt in a bowl and mix together to combine. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients...I used a fork but a pastry blender would have bend better. Stir in enough buttermilk to make it a soft sticky dough. Kneed it until it comes together on a floured surface. Be careful not to over kneed. If you want to add things like I did you want to do it before you kneed. I added about 3 pieces of crumbled bacon, a T or so of fine minced jalapenos and 1/2 C of grated cheese...I used extra sharp. Roll our until it is about 1/2 an inch think. Use whatever size biscuit cutter you want. Something to remeber is do not twist your biscuit cutter or that will prevent them from rising as well in the oven. I could really tell on the ones I twisted even a little to get them cut. Lightly kneed back together and roll out until they are all cut. Place about an inch apart on a non-greased baking sheet and bake about 18 minutes until golden brown.

Remove and place on a wire rack to cool a bit before opening up. Here is what mine looked like with the bacon, cheese and jalapeno's! Hope you like!


No comments:

Post a Comment