Saturday, October 10, 2009

Mixed Berry Trifle with Lemon Cream


If cobbler is my favorite dessert this is a close second. I love the berries and the way it pairs with the lemon in the cream. It's another really easy dessert that can be made ahead of time...in fact it's almost better if it does sit for a little bit. I actually made this for my work for a dessert contest and it was a huge hit. They forgot to have us vote...but I think it would have won. I of course was biased. You will need...
1 Angel food cake
2 pounds of strawberries
2 pints of blueberries
1 pint of heavy cream
2 lemon yogurts (I use Yoplaits lemon burst)
4 T sugar
1/2 t Lemon Extract

I start by trimming and slicing my berries. I like to do it all in steps...I trim the leaves off of all of them then slice them all. It makes it faster for me. Add them all to a bowl with blueberries and add about 2 T sugar to get some of the juices flowing. I leave some of the blueberries and 1 strawberry or so to decorate the top of the trifle...this is optional. I like to let mine sit for a while.

I then slice the angel food cake across to make about 3 or 4 layers.

Whip the cream, lemon extract and about 2 T sugar until you get medium stiff peaks. It takes some time, but this give the berries more time to sit. About half way through add the yogurt to the cream to blend together.

I like to start with a little bit of a base of the cream and then add a layer of angel food cake and more cream then berries, then angel food cake, cream and then berries until you get to the top. I then decorate the top of it with some berries and then when I am going to serve it I put a strawberry in the middle of all of the blueberries. I like to let mine sit over night if I can to let it all blend together. It's a great summer treat...especially for grilling! It serves a ton of people too.


No comments:

Post a Comment